What is Toyota T-Mate? It is the new umbrella name for all of Toyota’s safety and advanced driver assistance systems, and combines Toyota Safety Sense technologies with a number of other active functions. Together these are designed to make driving easier and safer, while protecting vehicle occupants and other road users.
The evolution of safety technology has made increasing use of sensors, radars and cameras to constantly monitor vehicle performance, the surrounding traffic and environment. Such systems constantly look out for you and are poised to warn the driver of potential hazards and, if necessary, activate braking, steering and throttle control to help prevent or mitigate an accident.
Toyota T-Mate encompasses all of these areas, while providing a new way for Toyota to communicate their real-world benefits as the mobility industry increases its use of automation. The following is an outline of the systems and functions covered by Toyota T-Mate. Click on any of the hyperlinks in bold type to watch a brief video about each individual technology.
Toyota T-Mate: Toyota Safety Sense
- Pre-Collision System: Detects and helps you avoid collisions with other vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists. It works by alerting the driver with audio and visual warnings and brake assistance. If the driver doesn’t manage to brake in time the brakes automatically engage to prevent or mitigate a collision.
- Road Sign Assist: Monitors road signs and displays useful information such as the current speed limit or overtaking restrictions on your cockpit display. The system also provides a visual and acoustic warning if the driver isn’t following a road sign indication.
- Adaptive Cruise Control: Keeps you at a minimum pre-set distance from the vehicle in front. If the distance falls, the system will reduce your speed and eventually apply the brakes and activate the brake lights. If your car is equipped with Road Sign Assist, it will also recognise speed limits on your driving route and suggest any necessary adjustments.
- Lane Trace Assist: Designed to make motorway driving safer. It keeps you centred in your lane and will gently apply corrective assistance to your steering if you drift from that course.
- Automatic High Beam: Looks down the road to see oncoming headlights. If it detects any, it automatically turns off your high beams and engages low beams. When the headlights pass, the system automatically switches to high beams again.
- Toyota Teammate Advanced Park: Controls acceleration, steering, braking and gear shifting (auto only) to help you park safely. It can even memorise your favourite parking spaces that are not defined by lines or adjacent objects.
- Panoramic View Monitor: Combines images from four cameras to create an almost 360° view of your surroundings for easier and safer parking.
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert with Automatic Braking: Identifies and alerts you to the presence of approaching vehicles as you reverse out of a parking space. If the alert is ignored it will also apply the brakes to help avoid a collision.
- Intelligent Clearance Sonar: Warns the driver of obstacles in front of or behind the car and automatically brakes to help avoid a collision.
Toyota T-Mate: Driving Assistance
- Blind Spot Monitor: Alerts the driver to any vehicles they might not have seen in their side mirrors. This is particularly useful when overtaking.
- Adaptive High-Beam: Ensures optimal visibility for all road users when driving at night. It automatically adjusts light distribution by shading out areas of the headlight beam that could dazzle drivers heading in the opposite direction.
Please note that each Toyota T-Mate package may differ depending on the features available for individual models and grades.