Certificate of Conformity: your questions answered

A Certificate of Conformity (COC) is a paper document issued by a vehicle manufacturer as evidence that a vehicle complies with European regulations, including environmental and safety standards. The document also supports the process of registering a vehicle in any European member state without further requirements subject to national laws.

A number of frequently asked questions have arisen about the COC. Scroll down to read the answers to these, and where to go for further advice.

Why do I need a Certificate of Conformity?

There are six primary reasons why you will need to request a COC.

  • You are exporting your vehicle abroad
  • You want to return to the UK with a vehicle previously registered in the UK
  • You want to import your vehicle from the Channel Islands or Northern Ireland
  • You want to register a vehicle for a Congestion Charge discount or residential permit
  • You want to apply for a taxi or private hire driving licence
  • You want to show evidence of the emissions standards of the vehicle

When applying for a taxi or private hire driving licence, it is the owner’s responsibility to confirm what documentation is required with the Public Carriage Office department of Transport for London. This could be either a COC or a letter from the manufacturer confirming the Euro emissions standard of the vehicle.

We advise owners not to book an inspection with the PCO office until the necessary documents have been obtained.

How much does a Certificate of Conformity cost?

A COC is free of charge if you are the original owner of the vehicle or purchased it as a used vehicle from an official Toyota centre. Subsequent owners, or those who do not meet the previous criteria, will be charged £75.00 (including VAT, administration costs and postage) to receive a COC.

If necessary, Toyota (GB) PLC can provide a Euro emissions declaration letter. This is charged at £10.00 (including VAT, administration costs and postage) and can be requested by emailing coc@toyota.co.uk

How do I apply for a Certificate of Conformity?

If you purchased your new or used vehicle from an official Toyota centre you can request a COC through the dealership you purchased the vehicle from. Alternatively, you can request a COC directly from Toyota (GB) PLC by emailing coc@toyota.co.uk

In both instances you will need to prove that you are the vehicle’s registered keeper. A copy of the full V5C ‘log book’ document should be submitted to as evidence (the tear-off New Keeper slip is not sufficient proof of registration). If you are not the registered keeper, you can provide  an official purchase invoice that clearly states your full name, address and vehicle details.

How long will it take to receive my certificate?

If your COC is being supplied free of charge, the document should be dispatched within the 10-14 day processing period. If payment is required, the COC will be dispatched 5-7 days after your payment has been received and cleared.

As the COC is a legal document, it cannot be emailed and has to be posted to the address you have provided.

Where can I go for more information?

Toyota (GB) PLC has a dedicated web page that explains how we can support you in the importing and exporting process but you can also email the team at coc@toyota.co.uk

Please be advised that it can take up to 10-14 working days to receive a response and that Toyota cannot provide advice regarding how to import or export your vehicle.

Further information can also be found on the UK government website.


  1. Hi there,
    I have a Toyota Prius imported from Japan. I need a COC.
    I contacted Toyota UK and DVLA about this and they both told me that I needed to contact Toyota Japan. I have been trying to contact them with no success.
    can you please give me an email address to contact Toyota Japan or a website where I could buy a COC please.

    1. Hi Helene,

      No Certificate Of Conformity will be available for any vehicle originating from outside of Europe as this document does not exist in any non-European jurisdiction. If no Certificate Of Conformity is available for your vehicle, it is likely that an Individual Vehicle Approval certificate will be required. This can be arranged through the DVSA. There may be an exception for vehicles that were manufactured more than 10 years ago (such vehicles may only require a current MOT certificate). Further information about the application process can be found at http://www.gov.uk/vehicleapproval


  2. Hi I have a Auris 2016. Do I need a COC for my TFL inspection. Some one told me I don’t,as it’s only 4 1/2 years old. Can you advise please .

    1. Hi Richard,
      Thanks for your comment. We hope your Auris is still serving you well!
      We would recommend contacting TFL to clarify what they require for a vehicle inspection.

  3. Hi really disappointed,i bought Toyota prius 2017 plate,
    And requested Euro 6 confirmation certificate,
    And now its over 2 weeks and struggling to get one,
    Dont understand what its taking this long,my car is EUR 6 but i need certificate for official purposes.
    Its just a piece of paper to be emailed to me and it is taking this long.
    I can’t work without that certificate
    I hope someone will help me,or i just have to sell my car and buy different brand.

    1. Hi Malik,
      Thanks for getting in touch.
      We can see that you have been in touch with our Customer Relations team. They are best placed to assist you with your query, so we would recommend continuing to correspond with them.

      1. I am but they are not coming up with any solution,
        Thats why i have written a comment here,
        My car reg is DE67OTL and is a uk model ,
        But one latter is becoming this difficult,

      2. Hi Malik,
        Thanks for your reply.
        We’ve spoken to our Legal Team, and they have explained that the COC must be printed on special, watermarked COC paper.
        This can only be done at our Head Office and, because this is currently closed due to the current situation, we are unable to print these off for customers.
        The team are exploring ways around this, but we would recommend staying in contact with our Customer Relations team, who are best placed to advise you on any changes.

  4. Hi, I emailed today reference trying to obtain the link that enables me to apply for a COC for my Auris. I received in return an automated email which did not assist me at all in my query. Can someone help please?

    1. Hi Chris,
      Thanks for your comment.
      All applications emailed to coc@toyota.co.uk should be dealt with by a member of our team.
      There is currently difficulty with sending out COC certificates due to the special watermarked paper being needed to send these out being located in our office, which is currently closed, but our team should be in touch with you to let you know.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *