The all-new Yaris takes small car safety to an unprecedented level and has been equipped to be the safest model in its segment. Key strengths include a significant increase in body rigidity and a two-generation leap forward in Toyota Safety Sense systems. In addition, a number of new features are making their Toyota debut, reaffirming our commitment to ensuring the highest safety provisions are as widely available as possible.
Watch the video above as safety expert Tom Rycken, a manager at Toyota Europe, explains some of the challenges involved in making a small car a safe car.
Building the all-new Yaris on the GA-B platform has increased the car’s torsional rigidity to a class-best standard. This added strength provides better impact absorption and helps to maintain the integrity of the passenger cabin in the event of a collision. But if an accident did occur, the Yaris is the first Toyota to be equipped with centre air bags. These are programmed to deploy in the event of a side impact to help prevent the driver and front seat passenger from colliding with each other.
The new Yaris is also equipped with some of the most advanced driver assistance systems. There are not only more features in its Toyota Safety Sense package than any other Toyota model, but more more electronic safety features than any other B-segment competitor. Some of the highlights of this package are listed below:
- Pre-Collision System: this integrated camera and radar set-up can detect and warn the driver about pedestrians and cyclists in the path of the car
- Intersection Turn Assistance: this system detects potential hazards approaching the car at junctions and can apply automatic emergency braking to avoid a potential collision
- Adaptive Cruise Control: when activated, this maintains a safe distance from the preceding vehicle and will bring the Yaris to a halt if that vehicle stops
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Control and Lane Trace Assist: these systems warn the driver if they are veering off a safe path and can also be set to automatically centre the Yaris in its lane or follow the path of the vehicle ahead if road markings are undetectable
- Emergency Steering Assist: this system provides additional steering torque if it is necessary for the driver to swerve to avoid a pedestrian or obstacle in the car’s traffic lane, yet it also supports the driver by maintaining vehicle stability
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and Blind Spot Monitor: these systems detect potential impact hazards during reversing manoeuvres and will alert the driver to vehicles approaching from behind on the road
- Intelligent Clearance Sonar with automatic braking: ultrasonic sensors at the rear of the car will detect an object that is about to be hit, and will automatically apply the brakes if the driver fails to react to audible warnings
The all-new Yaris is generously equipped and features specifications that are more commonly found in cars from the class above. For example, it is the only car in its class to offer the option of a ten-inch colour head-up display, which allows the driver to project key information such as vehicle speed, safety warnings, navigation support and multimedia information on to the base of the windscreen.
Wireless smartphone integration comes via Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and it is possible to specify an eight-speaker JBL premium audio system and ambient blue cabin lighting. Connected services can also be reached using the MyT Toyota app.
UK model grades and their outline specifications are listed in the table below but standard features include Toyota Safety Sense, automatic headlights and wipers, reversing camera, electronic parking brake and smartphone integration.
|Toyota Safety Sense, 16-inch alloy wheels, smartphone integration, Toyota Touch 2 seven-inch multimedia display, reversing camera, automatic headlights and wipers, electronic parking brake, driver’s arm rest, automatic air conditioning, front power windows, power-adjustable and heated door mirrors, eCall
|In addition to Icon: 16-inch machined-face alloy wheels, Toyota Touch 2 eight-inch multimedia display, binocular instrument display, LED headlights and rear lights, rear privacy glass, power rear windows, optional panoramic roof
|In addition to Design: 17-inch machined-face alloy wheels, front sport seats, black part-synthetic leather upholstery, smart entry and push-button start, dual-zone air conditioning, JBL premium eight-speaker sound system, optional bi-tone paint finish
|City Pack: front and rear parking sensors with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and auto-braking, auto-folding door mirrors, Blind Spot Monitor
|In addition to Design: 17-inch machined-face alloy wheels, front sport seats, light-coloured part-synthetic leather upholstery, smart entry and push-button start, dual-zone air conditioning, six-speaker sound system, auto-folding door mirrors, Blind Spot Monitor, Intelligent Clearance Sonars with auto-braking, optional panoramic roof
|Tech Pack: eight-speaker JBL premium sound system with eight-channel amplifier, ten-inch full-colour head-up display, auto-dimming rear-view mirror
A special Launch Edition (pictured) has also been created to introduce the all-new Yaris to the UK market. This model maximises the specification and is presented in a Tokyo Fusion bi-tone pearlescent paint finish. Click here to learn more and review the specifications.
NB: Details were correct at the time and date of publication