The Toyota RAV4 is the original compact SUV. The first-generation model created the segment back in 1994, and struck a chord with car buyers the worldover – almost five million first, second, third and current generation models have found homes globally. We’ve rounded-up 14 things you need to know about the latest model, which was launched in 2013.
1. The RAV4 comes in four grades: Active, Business Edition, Icon and Invincible.
2. Prices start at £22,495.
3. There are three engine options: A 2.0-litre, 149bhp petrol; a 2.0-litre diesel with 124bhp and a 2.2-litre diesel with 150bhp.
4. It’s available with the choice of a six-speed manual, or V-Matic automatic transmission. Petrol variants of RAV4 come with the V-Matic automatic gearbox.
5. You can choose between 2WD or AWD on Icon and Invincible grades. Active grade models are available in 2WD form.
6. The 2.0-litre diesel is the most fuel efficient, and returns up to 57.6mpg on the combined cycle.
7. Benefit-in-Kind tax brackets range from 24%-31%
8. Every RAV4 is fitted as standard with electric front and rear windows, electric heated door mirrors, hill-start control, bluetooth, LED daytime running lights, alloy wheels and rear privacy glass.
9. The boot capacity is 547 litres with the seats up and tonneau cover in place, extending to 1,746 with the seats down and the covered removed.
10. 4WD variants of RAV4 feature a differential lock for off-road driving. This lets the driver lock torque distribution in a 50:50 ratio at speeds up to 25mph.
11. The RAV4 has a 187mm ground clearance
12. Maximum towing capacity (unbraked) is 750kg. Maximum braked capacity is between 1500kg and 2000kg, dependent on model grade.
13. AWD variants feature a ‘Sport’ driving mode that is operated by pushing a button mounted to the centre console. When engaged, understeer is reduced, steering assistance is reduced by 20 per cent and the throttle response is sharpened.
14. Nine colours are available – seven metallic, one pearlescent and one solid.
See also: RAV4 review RAV4 20th anniversary tour in Greece RAV4 takes on Britain’s ultimate roads Where next? You can configure a RAV4 on the designated section of the Toyota UK website. If you would like to get behind the wheel, leave a comment below and we’ll be in touch shortly.